17033 24-Jun-2018, Sun
Census is nothing but a process of collecting, compiling, analyzing, evaluating, publishing and disseminating statistical data regarding the population. It covers demographic, social and economic data and are provided as of a particular date. Census is useful for formulation of development policies and plans and demarcating constituencies for elections. The Census of India has been conducted 15 times, As of 2011. It has been conducted every 10 years, beginning in 1871.
In Exam point of view, Questions related to Census is very common in all kinds of competitive exams. In every exam, we can expect a minimum of one or two questions from Census. Here is the simple and perfectly categorized 2011 Census of India.
- Census 2011 were released in New Delhi on 31st March 2011 by Union Home Secretary GK Pillai and RGI C Chandramouli.
- Census 2011 was the 15th census of india & 7th census after Independece
- The motto of census 2011 was “Our Census, Our future”.
- Total estimated cost of the Census was INR2200 crore (US$350 million).
- First census in 1872.
- Present Registrar General & Census Commissioner – C.Chandra Mouli
- Total Population – 1,210,569,573 (1.21 Billion)
- India in 2nd rank in population with 17.64%. decadal growth & China is 1st rank with decadal growth 19% (over 1.35 billion)
- World Population is 7 Billions
- Increase in population during 2001 – 2011 is 181 Million
Population – 1210.19 million [Males – 623.7 million (51.54%) Females – 586.46 million (48.46%)]
|Top Populous of the Country|
|Least Populous of the Country|
|2||Daman and Diu||2,43,247|
|3||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||3,43,709|
|4||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||3,80,581|
|Highest Populous UT||Delhi|
|Least Populous UT||Lakshadweep|
|Highest Populous state||Uttar Pradesh|
|Least populous state||Sikkim|
|Highest urban Population in india (state& UT)||Maharashtra – 4,11,00,980|
|Lowest urban Population in india (state& UT)||Lakshadweep – 26,967|
|Highest Rular Population in india (state& UT)||Uttar Pradesh – 13,16,58,339|
|Lowest Rular Population in india (state& UT)||Lakshadweep – 33,683|
Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 Males)
|Sex ratio in India||943|
|Highest sex ratio in state||Kerala (1084)|
|Lowest sex ratio in state||Haryana (879)|
|Highest sex ratio in UT||Pondicherry (1037)|
|Lowest sex ratio in UT||Daman and Diu (618)|
|Child (0-6 years) sex ratio||914|
|Highest child (0-6) sex ratio in state||Mizoram (971)|
|Lowest child (0-6) sex ratio in state||Haryana (830)|
Literacy Rate in India
|Total Person Literacy Rate||74%|
|Highest Literacy Rate in State||Kerala (94%)|
|Lowest Literacy Rate in State||Bihar (61.8%)|
|Hightest Literacy Rate in UT||Lakshadweep (91%)|
|Lowest Literacy Rate in UT||Dadra and Nagar Haveli (76.24%)|